• Constituent Services

    Step 1 -- Introduction to Casework
    How Can I Help You?

    Providing assistance to my constituents is one of my most important duties as your representative in Congress, and I am always happy to provide you with casework service. Typical requests for casework involve lost documents or a federal agency dragging its feet in getting you the help you need.

    Before contacting me for aid, it is important that you first try to work with the federal agency you are having trouble with. These agencies are helpful and responsive, and most issues can be solved by contacting them in writing. However, if you find that contacting them does not yield results, I would be happy to advocate on your behalf.

    To determine whether I can help you with your situation or if you need to find assistance elsewhere, please proceed to the next step "Casework Determination."

    As always, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

    Step 2 -- Determining How I Can Help
    Is this casework or not?

    I am able to assist you with a casework request as long as it deals with a federal agency, or one that reports to the executive branch. Some examples of federal agencies:

    • Social Security Administration
    • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
    • Department of Homeland Security
    • Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA)
    • U.S. Postal Service

    I am only authorized to help you with issues involving these federal agencies after you have tried handling the issue through the agency first. Most federal agencies are helpful and responsive and would be happy to provide the aid you need. However, if after you have contacted them in writing you still do not get results, I would be glad to provide the help you need.

    And although I will try my best to help you in any way I can, the federal agency with whom you are dealing always has the final say in the matter. Please also keep in mind that I am unable to provide you with legal assistance or act as your legal counselor or representative. Because of the constitutional separation of powers, I do not have the authority to intervene in judicial matters such as criminal court proceedings, civil disputes, or deportation hearings.

    Local and State Issues

    There are many issues affecting constituents that cannot be solved at the national level, but can be solved at the local level. If you are having trouble with a state agency, you should contact your representative in the New York State Senate or Assembly or your local representative. Some examples of local or state issues:

    • Child support
    • Criminal and police investigations
    • Worker's compensation
    • Housing or rent issues
    • Lost or stolen driver's licenses or other important state documentation

    To find your State Senator by ZIP code, click here. To find your State Assembly member by ZIP code, click here.

    Step 3 -- How to Open a Case
    Once you contact me, I can begin to assist you

    After you have determined that your request is something we can help you with, fill out a request form and fax or mail it to one of my district offices, or deliver it in person. The Privacy Act of 1974 does not allow our office to assist you until you have filled out this form which releases information to our office from the agency with which you are having trouble. Be sure to attach a brief description of the problem and any documents you have pertaining to your case. This may include medical documentation, financial records, letters of support, and recent correspondence with the agency. Click here for a PDF version of the casework request and authorization form.

    Casework is typically handled at my district offices in the Bronx, Westchester, or Rockland. To put in a casework request, contact the district office that is closest to you and be sure to provide as much information as possible so we can help you as quickly and as effectively as we can. You can do this by either calling the office or filling out the Casework Authorization Form and faxing it or bringing it into one of my offices.

    Bronx District Office
    3655 Johnson Ave.
    Bronx, NY 10463
    Phone: (718) 796-9700
    Fax: (718) 796-5134

    Westchester District Office
    6 Gramatan Ave., Suite 205
    Mount Vernon, NY 10550
    Phone: (914) 699-4100
    Fax: (914) 699-3646

    Co-op City District Office
    177 Dreiser Loop, Room 3
    Bronx, NY 10475
    Phone: (718) 320-2314
    Fax: (718) 320-2047

    It is a privilege to serve you and help you get the federal aid you need. Once we receive the document, please allow a few days for my office to contact you about your request, and we can begin addressing your concern as quickly as possible.


    Congressman Eliot L. Engel

Congressional Art Competition


A message from Congressman Eliot L. Engel:

Welcome to the Congressional Art Competition section of my website. I am pleased to announce that New York’s 16th Congressional District will be participating in the Congressional Art Competition; a competition that recognizes the talents of our nation’s youth and promotes learning through creativity and artistic exploration.

If you are a high school student in New York’s 16th District, please read below to learn more about how to submit a piece of artwork for this competition. Please email me at for more information. The Deadline for submission is Thursday, April 19, 2018. The Art Competition will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2018. 

Eliot L. Engel
Member of Congress

Congressional Art Competition: Information                                    TOP

Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest provides an opportunity to recognize the talents of our nation’s youth and to promote learning through artistic creativity and exploration.

The Congressional Art Competition began in 1982 as a way for Members of Congress to encourage and recognize the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition.

The selected entry from the 16th District will have the honor of being displayed in United States Capitol. Additionally, the student whose artwork is displayed in the Capitol may become eligible to receive a scholarship to an art and design school, should they apply, be accepted as a student, and meet or exceed admission requirements.

A student relea
se form and a digital photograph of the piece of artwork must be emailed to to be considered in this competition.

Congressional Art Competition: Guidelines                                       TOP

  • The competition is open to 9-12th grade students who attend a high school in New York’s 16th district.
  • In order to allow the winning artwork to hang in the Cannon Tunnel of the U.S. Capitol, the following restrictions are enforced:
    • The artwork must be framed according to appropriate framing guidelines, listed below.
    • Artwork must conform to the following restrictions:
      • Artwork must be two-dimensional
      • Each piece can be no larger than 26” x26” x4” (26 inches high, 26 inches wide, and 4 inches deep) including the frame. Artwork cannot weigh more than 15 lbs. If your artwork is selected as the winning piece, it will be required to be framed and must still adhere to the size guidelines.
      • Each entry must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws. Any entry which has been reproduced from an existing photo (not the student’s own), painting, graphic, advertisement, or any other work produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted. Work entered must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
  • Artwork categories that are accepted by the Capitol are as follows:
    • Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
    • Drawings: pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, markers
    • Collage: must be two dimensional
    • Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
    • Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
    • Computer generated art
    • Photography
  • The winning artwork will hang in the Capitol for the entire year of the exhibition and cannot be returned to the students earlier. Students should, therefore, submit artwork they will not need for other purposes.
  • The final decision regarding the suitability of all artwork for the Congressional Art Competition exhibition in the Capitol will be made by a panel of qualified persons chaired by the Architect of the Capitol. Artwork must adhere to the policy of the House Office Building Commission. In accordance with this policy, exhibits depicting subjects of contemporary political controversy or a sensationalistic or gruesome nature are not allowed. It is necessary that all artwork be reviewed by the panel chaired by the Architect of the Capitol and any portion not in consonance with the Commission’s policy will be omitted from the exhibit.

Return to the Top

2018 Student Release Form (03/08/1811:36 AMET )
2018 Rules for Students and Teachers (03/08/1811:36 AMET )
2018 Art Submission Checklist (03/08/1811:35 AMET )
  • Office Locations Push

    Office Name Location Image Map URL
    Washington DC
    2462 Rayburn HOB
    Washington, DC 20515
    Phone: (202) 225-2464
    Fax: (202) 225-5513
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
    Bronx Office
    3655 Johnson Avenue
    Bronx, NY 10463
    Phone: (718) 796-9700
    Fax: (718) 796-5134
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
    Westchester Office
    6 Gramatan Avenue; Suite 205
    Mt. Vernon, NY 10550
    Phone: (914) 699-4100
    Fax: (914) 699-3646
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
    Co-op City Office

    Co-op City Office
    177 Dreiser Loop, Rm 3
    Phone: (718) 320-2314
    Fax: (718) 320-2047
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm