E-Newsletter Signup

  • E-Newsletter Signup 2

    Please Subscribe to Rep.Engel's Monthly Updates

    *Required Fields

    Refresh Number

    By completing this form, you are authorizing us to send regular e-mail updates to your e-mail account.

Immigration Assistance

How can I become a U.S. citizen?

In general, the requirements for becoming a U.S. citizen include:

  • A period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States;
  • Residence in a particular USCIS District prior to filing;
  • An ability to read, write, and speak English;
  • A knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;
  • Good moral character;
  • Attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and,
  • A favorable disposition toward the United States.

Applicants for naturalization must be at least 18 years of age or have a parent file for a child who is under 18 and have lawfully lived as a permanent resident in the United States for at least 5 years, although for permanent residents who are married to U.S. citizens the wait is 3 years.

For more information on the process you can visit the U.S, Citizenship and Immigration Services website at http://www.uscis.gov or download the pamphlet "A Guide to Naturalization" which details the process.

There are some exceptions to the standard application procedure. For more information on exceptions, waivers, and special cases, click here.

What are the requirements for getting a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card")?

Lawful permanent residence in the United States is based upon several factors. For more information visit the Citizenship and Immigration Services department webpage on obtaining a Permanent Resident Card.

How do I schedule an appointment with a USCIS office?

To make an appointment with the USCIS office nearest you, go to http://infopass.uscis.gov/index.php

Useful contact information

Call the CIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC) toll-free at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833). NCSC can provide answers to most questions about immigration procedures and other issues, but cannot provide information about the status of your case over the telephone.

If instructed on the application or petition to send it by mail New York residents should send petitions and applications to the CIS Vermont Service Center. Please note that Form I-130 is no longer mailed to a USCIS Service Center if the petitioner resides in the U.S.

Direct Mail Mailing Address:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden St.
Saint Albans, Vermont 05479

N-400 Mailing address:
PO BOX 299026
Lewisville, TX 75029

For more information on other service centers in the United States, click here.

Please note:

CIS no longer deals with border patrol and airport inspections, immigration investigations, detentions or removals, which are now done by the Department of Homeland Security. CIS also does not handle Passports or most visas, which are generally handled by the Department of State.

As always, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.