E-Newsletter Signup

  • E-Newsletter Signup 2

    Please Subscribe to Rep.Engel's Monthly Updates

    *Required Fields

    Refresh Number

    By completing this form, you are authorizing us to send regular e-mail updates to your e-mail account.

Bill Search

  • Bill Search

District Map

How Can I Help

Step 1 -- Introduction to Casework
How Can I Help You?

Providing assistance to my constituents is one of my most important duties as your representative in Congress, and I am always happy to provide you with casework service. Typical requests for casework involve lost documents or a federal agency dragging its feet in getting you the help you need.

Before contacting me for aid, it is important that you first try to work with the federal agency you are having trouble with. These agencies are helpful and responsive, and most issues can be solved by contacting them in writing. However, if you find that contacting them does not yield results, I would be happy to advocate on your behalf.

To determine whether I can help you with your situation or if you need to find assistance elsewhere, please proceed to the next step "Casework Determination."

As always, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Step 2 -- Determining How I Can Help
Is this casework or not?

I am able to assist you with a casework request as long as it deals with a federal agency, or one that reports to the executive branch. Some examples of federal agencies:

  • Social Security Administration
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • Department of Homeland Security
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA)
  • U.S. Postal Service

I am only authorized to help you with issues involving these federal agencies after you have tried handling the issue through the agency first. Most federal agencies are helpful and responsive and would be happy to provide the aid you need. However, if after you have contacted them in writing you still do not get results, I would be glad to provide the help you need.

And although I will try my best to help you in any way I can, the federal agency with whom you are dealing always has the final say in the matter. Please also keep in mind that I am unable to provide you with legal assistance or act as your legal counselor or representative. Because of the constitutional separation of powers, I do not have the authority to intervene in judicial matters such as criminal court proceedings, civil disputes, or deportation hearings.

Local and State Issues

There are many issues affecting constituents that cannot be solved at the national level, but can be solved at the local level. If you are having trouble with a state agency, you should contact your representative in the New York State Senate or Assembly or your local representative. Some examples of local or state issues:

  • Child support
  • Criminal and police investigations
  • Worker's compensation
  • Housing or rent issues
  • Lost or stolen driver's licenses or other important state documentation

To find your State Senator by ZIP code, click here. To find your State Assembly member by ZIP code, click here.

Step 3 -- How to Open a Case
Once you contact me, I can begin to assist you

After you have determined that your request is something we can help you with, fill out a request form and fax or mail it to one of my district offices, or deliver it in person. The Privacy Act of 1974 does not allow our office to assist you until you have filled out this form which releases information to our office from the agency with which you are having trouble. Be sure to attach a brief description of the problem and any documents you have pertaining to your case. This may include medical documentation, financial records, letters of support, and recent correspondence with the agency.

Casework is typically handled at my district offices in the Bronx, Westchester, or Co-op City. To put in a casework request, contact the district office that is closest to you and be sure to provide as much information as possible so we can help you as quickly and as effectively as we can. You can do this by either calling the office or coming into one of my offices.

Bronx District Office
3655 Johnson Ave.
Bronx, NY 10463
Phone: (718) 796-9700
Fax: (718) 796-5134

Co-op City District Office
177 Dreiser Loop, Rm. 3
Bronx, NY 10475
Phone: (718) 320-2314
Fax: (718) 320-2047

Westchester District Office
6 Gramatan Ave., Suite 205
Mount Vernon, NY 10550
Phone: (914) 699-4100
Fax: (914) 699-3646

It is a privilege to serve you and help you get the federal aid you need. Once we receive the document, please allow a few days for my office to contact you about your request, and we can begin addressing your concern as quickly as possible.


Congressman Eliot L. Engel