• Constituent Services

    Step 1 -- Introduction to Casework
    How Can I Help You?

    Providing assistance to my constituents is one of my most important duties as your representative in Congress, and I am always happy to provide you with casework service. Typical requests for casework involve lost documents or a federal agency dragging its feet in getting you the help you need.

    Before contacting me for aid, it is important that you first try to work with the federal agency you are having trouble with. These agencies are helpful and responsive, and most issues can be solved by contacting them in writing. However, if you find that contacting them does not yield results, I would be happy to advocate on your behalf.

    To determine whether I can help you with your situation or if you need to find assistance elsewhere, please proceed to the next step "Casework Determination."

    As always, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

    Step 2 -- Determining How I Can Help
    Is this casework or not?

    I am able to assist you with a casework request as long as it deals with a federal agency, or one that reports to the executive branch. Some examples of federal agencies:

    • Social Security Administration
    • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
    • Department of Homeland Security
    • Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA)
    • U.S. Postal Service

    I am only authorized to help you with issues involving these federal agencies after you have tried handling the issue through the agency first. Most federal agencies are helpful and responsive and would be happy to provide the aid you need. However, if after you have contacted them in writing you still do not get results, I would be glad to provide the help you need.

    And although I will try my best to help you in any way I can, the federal agency with whom you are dealing always has the final say in the matter. Please also keep in mind that I am unable to provide you with legal assistance or act as your legal counselor or representative. Because of the constitutional separation of powers, I do not have the authority to intervene in judicial matters such as criminal court proceedings, civil disputes, or deportation hearings.

    Local and State Issues

    There are many issues affecting constituents that cannot be solved at the national level, but can be solved at the local level. If you are having trouble with a state agency, you should contact your representative in the New York State Senate or Assembly or your local representative. Some examples of local or state issues:

    • Child support
    • Criminal and police investigations
    • Worker's compensation
    • Housing or rent issues
    • Lost or stolen driver's licenses or other important state documentation

    To find your State Senator by ZIP code, click here. To find your State Assembly member by ZIP code, click here.

    Step 3 -- How to Open a Case
    Once you contact me, I can begin to assist you

    After you have determined that your request is something we can help you with, fill out a request form and fax or mail it to one of my district offices, or deliver it in person. The Privacy Act of 1974 does not allow our office to assist you until you have filled out this form which releases information to our office from the agency with which you are having trouble. Be sure to attach a brief description of the problem and any documents you have pertaining to your case. This may include medical documentation, financial records, letters of support, and recent correspondence with the agency. Click here for a PDF version of the casework request and authorization form.

    Casework is typically handled at my district offices in the Bronx, Westchester, or Rockland. To put in a casework request, contact the district office that is closest to you and be sure to provide as much information as possible so we can help you as quickly and as effectively as we can. You can do this by either calling the office or filling out the Casework Authorization Form and faxing it or bringing it into one of my offices.

    Bronx District Office
    3655 Johnson Ave.
    Bronx, NY 10463
    Phone: (718) 796-9700
    Fax: (718) 796-5134

    Westchester District Office
    6 Gramatan Ave., Suite 205
    Mount Vernon, NY 10550
    Phone: (914) 699-4100
    Fax: (914) 699-3646

    Co-op City District Office
    177 Dreiser Loop, Room 3
    Bronx, NY 10475
    Phone: (718) 320-2314
    Fax: (718) 320-2047

    It is a privilege to serve you and help you get the federal aid you need. Once we receive the document, please allow a few days for my office to contact you about your request, and we can begin addressing your concern as quickly as possible.


    Congressman Eliot L. Engel

US Service Academy Nominations


What are the basic eligibility requirements?

Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:

  • Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
  • Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
  • Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
  • Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of our Congressional District.
  • Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.

What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:

  • Current photo
  • High school transcript
  • SAT or ACT results
  • Resume of extracurricular activities
  • An essay stating why you want to attend that particular service academy
  • Minimum of two letters of recommendation

Please send completed file to:    Congressman Eliot Engel

                                                            c/o Lori Copland

                                                            3655 Johnson Avenue

                                                            Bronx, NY 10463

Nomination files must be received by the end of November. Interviews with each of the applicants takes place mid-December to mid-January and nominations are sent out at the end of January. The applicants will not receive a hardcopy of the nomination from the Congressman's office. The academy will let them know if they received the nomination or not.

Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.

How many academies are there?

There are five service academies.

Three reside within the Dept of Defense:              
U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, CO

One resides within the Dept of Transportation: 
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY

One resides within the Dept. of Homeland Security:
U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, CY

It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy. U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.

As always, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

  • Office Locations Push

    Office Name Location Image Map URL
    Washington DC
    2462 Rayburn HOB
    Washington, DC 20515
    Phone: (202) 225-2464
    Fax: (202) 225-5513
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
    Bronx Office
    3655 Johnson Avenue
    Bronx, NY 10463
    Phone: (718) 796-9700
    Fax: (718) 796-5134
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
    Westchester Office
    6 Gramatan Avenue; Suite 205
    Mt. Vernon, NY 10550
    Phone: (914) 699-4100
    Fax: (914) 699-3646
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
    Co-op City Office

    Co-op City Office
    177 Dreiser Loop, Rm 3
    Phone: (718) 320-2314
    Fax: (718) 320-2047
    Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm